Friday, December 5, 2014

What is a Sorority Pledge Class?


When you first rush, you are amonst about 80 other girls (at a smaller university such as SUU) who are also rushing.  On the Friday of rush week, you could be given a bid into the organization. What this bid means is that the organization is interested in you & if you sign the bid, you in return want to become a part of it.  All of the girls that receive a bid on bid day, will become a "pledge class" and you will receive a pledge class name.  Going into bid day, not many of the girls know each other too well because during rush week, you as a potential new member are more interested in learning about the girls already in the organization as well as the organization itself.  That Friday evening there is always a "bid day celebration" and this is when everyone gathers together and you celebrate this new moment in your life, this is where you are also given your pledge class name and start to get to know the girls in your class a little bit better through ice breakers, mingling, and traditions.  The pledge class name depends on what number of pledge classes there are currently in the organization.  A pledge class name will never be repeated as it is unique to each group of girls.  The names will start with Alpha and will continue on into the Greek alphabet.  Once the last Greek letter is used, it will start again with Alpha and add on in order again, such as Alpha Alpha.  The first pledge class (so the first girls to ever be a part of the organization at SUU are in the pledge class Alpha, the second pledge class with then be Beta, and so on through out the Greek alphabet.

My pledge class bid day. This was my first picture to be taken with my Beta Xi sisters, little did I know that they would become some of my best friends. 
Your pledge class is the group of girls that you get a bid with, go through the new member process with, get initiated with, know you the best, and will most likely go alum with.  I am a Beta Xi and I am so proud to call myself that because of these strong courageous women in my pledge class specifically.  I could not have imagined a better experience & I truly believe it is because of these women.  We were initiated together as a pledge class of 16 on November 2, 2012.  I can honestly say that I still remember this day like it was yesterday.

The Beta Xi's, in my opinion, are some of the greatest girls to come to the SUU chapter. (and this is when I get to brag about my pledge class)  We have had 2 members serve as chapter president, 7 members serve as a part of the executive council, and almost every girl in this pledge class currently holds a position.  It doesn't stop there. These girls are also involved in other organizations on campus including but not limited to: Orientation Leaders, Student Government, The Newman's Club, Orchesis: SUU Modern Dance Company, and The Honors Program. In the last semester a sister of the Beta Xi pledge class was accepted into the nursing program at Southern Utah University, making this the 3rd from this chapter in the last two semesters. This just goes to show how well rounded women of this organization are.  They not only devote their lives to Alpha Phi and to their sisters but also to being involved, excelling academically, and progressing into better leaders.









I am happily a Beta Xi until I die!!<3 AOE. 



No comments:

Post a Comment