Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Do Greeks Pay for their Friends?





Butler University house in Indianapolis, Indiana

When people assume the stereotype that greeks pay for friends, I cannot help but laugh. It's hilarious to me because I know different. I have experienced a time where my dues have gone so much farther than I could have ever imagined they could.

Through Alpha Phi, there is an opportunity for underclassmen to apply for the chance to participate in Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI). What ELI is, is an all expense paid leadership conference where you are flown out to Indiana to learn more about Alpha Phi and how to strengthen your chapter, to get ideas from other chapters on & to bond with 49 other sisters from all around the world. It is held every summer at Butler University, in Indiana. There are several different sessions of ELI held throughout the summer and one to two girls from each chapter are chosen to attend this conference every year. I was encouraged to apply by some girls that had gone in previous years, and so I did, not thinking I would receive it or anything. 

Sitting in chemistry on August 1, 2013, not understanding anything going on, even though that was my major. Class was dismissed & I could not be anymore ecstatic. Check my phone, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, all of that fun stuff, then I checked my email. I immediately started screaming, crying and just about threw myself on the floor out of pure excitement. As we walked to our next class, still crying, and screaming at the same time (picture that one), my roommates thought that I was crazy, and I was beginning to think the same. It was from Stefania Rudd (director of ELI) and it read:
 

"Dear Briana, CONGRATULATIONS! We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to attend session 2 of Alpha Phi's Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI) on June 5-9, 2013." 

 
There was no way that I was just offered this amazing opportunity, no way. I waited until the last day to fill out the 3 page application, including essay questions, because I had completely forgotten about it. I was at an orientation leader retreat out in New Harmony, Utah with very little cell phone service. My mom would text me the prompt question & I would respond via text on what I wanted her to say on my application. How did I get chosen?!

Summer flew by and before I knew it, I was on the plane on my way to Indiana, by myself to meet 49 other women that shared the same love for Alpha Phi that I did. Pulling up to the Butler University house, I thought I was dreaming. Walking in, my eyes had gotten teary. Here I was, a newly initiated member of Alpha Phi, walking into a 3 story sorority house, equipped with a chef, house mom, multiple living rooms, study areas, and so much more. At this moment, I saw that Alpha Phi was so much larger than what I had just seen at SUU & throughout the week I was reassured of this thought. While in Indiana, I received many tips on how to further my chapter, completed a challenge course, found out why it was a good thing that SUU did not have a house with a chef (2 deserts a night), & had many late nights staying up and talking/laughing with girls in which I felt like I had known for years, all while learning about myself and my leadership potential. Leaving was the hardest part. Shuttles would come in increments of about 30 minutes to pick up girls to take them to the airport, where they would then head back to reality. Walking out of that house for the last time, I cried. Hard. I couldn't believe it was over but I was ready to take everything I had learned back to my chapter and share my newly found knowledge with my sisters, and that's exactly what I did. 

To this day, I tell everyone about my ELI experience. When you think $365 is a lot to pay for a semester, think about things like this. Think about how much it would have cost me to fly, eat, and sleep for an entire week & just then you will realize that this small amount will never be able to pay for the amazing experience that I had out there. So no, I don't pay for my friends, I pay for opportunities to better my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment